Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Day 11: January 11, 2012

Some may call it selfish.

I prefer to call it "being a smart shopper."

I like to think I was "being a smart shopper" when I bought my dad's Christmas gift this year.

I bought him Tim Tebow's book, "Through My Eyes", because I thought as a Denver Broncos fan, he'd enjoy the book. I also bought it because I thought I'd enjoy reading it too.. and I secretly hoped he'd let me borrow it when he finished.

It almost worked out as I planned.

Dad loved the book.

He brought it to my house when he finished reading it.

But I haven't gotten to read it yet, because Jake snatched it up!

Jake is enjoying the book. He may be a Vikings fan, but he also secretly likes the Broncos, and he really loves Tim Tebow. At least twice a day, he tells me what's happened in the book so far. (He's up to the part where Tim chooses his college).

I will patiently wait my turn to read this book.

It's what Moms do.

You see, I grew up cheering for the Broncos, but when I became a mom, I quit watching football. There were too many other things to do on Sunday afternoons. And, because my husband and kids cheered for the Vikings, I started rooting for the purple and gold too.

But deep down, I'm still a Broncos fan.

And Tim Tebow has reminded me of that.

But what I like even more than the Broncos, or Tebow, is the fact that finally there is a professional athlete with a positive message.

How can I possibly be mad at Jake for stealing the book I wanted to read, when it's about a man who loves God?

Jake is so interested in Tebow's life story, he is soaking up each page and sharing the story with anyone who will listen.

No matter what you think of the Broncos, or even of Tebow's ability as a quarterback, you have to respect his story, his pro-life message and his love for God.

This is the kind of professional athlete I want my kids to have as a role model. 

Go Broncos!

No comments:

Post a Comment