Thursday, February 2, 2012

Day 33: February 2, 2012

Patience is a virtue.

I was reminded of that this morning.

And my girls had to learn that, the hard way.

It shouldn't have been such a big deal. All we wanted to do was go to storytime at the library, and meet Mickey and Minnie Mouse. I figured it would be a full house, but never dreamed there wouldn't be room for us.

The room's capacity was 250 people. We got there just as the doors were closing. We were 25 minutes early.

Yes, I know we should have gone earlier, but really? That seems like a recipe for disaster: Lizzy and Morgan, hanging out in a meeting room for an hour? I can tell you it would not have been pretty. As the doors closed in our faces, and the very mean library lady said there was no room, I debated leaving. But Lizzy was so disappointed, and so sad, I decided we would stay. And I had rearranged my work schedule so I could do this with the girls today (FYI.. storytime at 10:15 am on a Thursday doesn't really work into a lot of mom's schedules.. obviously it's tailored to stay-at-home moms and daycares.. hence, the reason in almost 13 years of being a mom, today was the first time I actually made it to storytime). Even a glimpse of Mickey and Minnie through the window would have been better than leaving on such a bad note.

So we waited.

And we waited.

I spotted lots of people I knew inside. I honestly wondered how I could sneak Lizzy inside to sit with them.

We missed the story (no biggie..seriously, I've heard that was worth missing) and then people started leaving, after hugging Mickey and having their pictures taken. That's when the very mean library lady said we could go into "the room".

Yay! Our patience was being rewarded.

We let people go ahead of us, even though I knew we were there long before they were. We took our time getting into the room, and into the line.
No one said we should hurry.

We visited with a friend, who was second to last in the line and finally I decided we should get in line.

They wouldn't let us.

There was a very mean library lady standing guard at the end of the line, not allowing anyone else in line.

I was not happy.

Again, we hung around, hoping Lizzy would get to hug Minnie and Mickey.

That's when she had a great idea:

"Mom, how about you just take a picture of them, and then take another picture of me and then we can cut my picture out, and put me between them. It will look like I really got to meet them!"
Proud mom moment. Lizzy already understands the magic of Photoshop.

We giggled and took some silly pictures, with the famous mice in the background.

Morgan was starting to meltdown, and we were thinking about leaving, when the very mean library lady said all the kids who didn't get to meet Mickey and Minnie could sit on the edge of the stage and they would come pose for pictures behind them.

Lizzy sat down, at the end, because she's polite like that.

Morgan wouldn't sit down, because, as I mentioned, she was beginning to have a meltdown.

Lizzy almost got missed.

Finally, the two coolest mice ever were behind Lizzy and I got to take a few pictures.


None of them were great.

Here's the best one I got:


Mickey, Minnie, Lizzy and a girl we've never seen before (and probably will never see again!)

Oh well.Besides this silly picture, we got a great story to tell about the time we tried to go to storytime.
And for the record, I'm not sure we will ever attempt storytime again. It's at a really inconvenient time - I get that it's tailored to those who get to stay home with their kids.. and I respect that. But why not add another storytime for kids' whose parents work? Just because we work doesn't mean we wouldn't like to take our kids to events like this. I want my girls to love books, and spending time at the library, listening to someone  other than me read a book would be a great way to instill that love of reading.

I have many, many thoughts about today's event, and the way my girls were treated. And yes, I understand the fire code, and I respect the library staff for following it. I know they had everyone's safety in mind. But they were not very nice about it. I don't like it when people aren't nice to me, or to my kids.

Maybe I'll write a letter to the library, or to Disney.

Meantime, the girls and I managed to make today fun, even though it went nothing like we planned!

No comments:

Post a Comment