Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Day 74: March 14, 2012

Jake went to a basketball clinic with the Dakota Wizards this afternoon. He (and a few dozen other kids between the ages of 7 and 12) spent an hour practicing some fundamental basketball skills with the Wizards assistant coach and two of the players.

Jake did great - never missed a layup, and encouraged the other kids.

After the clinic, the kids could get autographs. Jake wasn't going to, but then realized these guys might be famous NBA players someday...that's when he decided to get autographs from the coach and the players.
Jake and Mike Anderson
For the record, in case Mike Anderson or Stefhon Hannah ever become famous NBA stars, I'm sure the time they spent with Jake today will have something to do with their success! 

But my favorite part of the clinic: While getting the assistant coach's autograph, he and Jake had a conversation about college basketball. It went something like this:

Coach: "I suppose I can sign that for you, Duke (Jake was wearing a Duke t-shirt)."
Jake, laughing: "I do like Duke."
Coach: "But who you picking in the tournament?"
Jake: "I gotta go with Kentucky."
Coach: "I'm a Kansas fan, but I gotta go with North Carolina."

The coach  (sorry, I don't know his name.. can anyone help me out here?) and Jake continued their conversation with a bunch of names of college coaches and players whose names I don't remember.

It was so cool.

Cool that Jake's amazing ability to remember random sports facts actually came in handy, and even cooler that a big-shot (ok, I know it's the D-League in Bismarck, ND, but still...it's the NBA and that's big in my opinion) was down to earth enough to have such a great conversation with a ten year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment